Jun 11, 2009

Sir Campalot

We weren't a huge camping family when I was growing up, although we did do it from time to time. When I was around 10 or 11 I was involved in an organization called "Indian Guides" which I guess is similar in many ways to Boy Scouts. We had a few camping outings here and there, but it was enough to know "tent-camping" probably just wasn't my thing. However, as I got a little older I was introduced to a different philosophy of camping...SUMMER CAMP! Now I could do that. Some of my best memories as a teenager involved spending a week or two of time in the summer at Central Florida Bible Camp. It probably has a special place in my heart too because one summer after a wonderful week at camp I came home a different person than I was before and that night I knew I wanted to be baptized and give my life over to following Christ.

Now fast-forward a few years and I still love the summer camp experience. For all the stress, planning, organization and responsibility that goes into taking a group of kids to camp, it is well worth all of it to witness them sharing a week with other kids who want to grow in their relationship with God and be challenged in their walk with Christ. There's just something different about summer camp that you can't experience in other places (of course there are pros and cons to that--but the good by far outweighs the bad). Seeds are planted. Friendships are cemented. And hopefully, lives are forever changed!

I know once we return home this week I am going to be worn out, exhausted, and dog-tired. But there's no other place I'd rather be, because I know God is working on and in the hearts of all our young people and I eagerly await for the day when each of them return a different person than when they first came.

What camp memories/experiences have made a difference in your life over the years?

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment