Jun 11, 2009

Nature vs. Nurture

It's the old nature vs. nurture issue again. Why are we the way we are? Personally, I believe both nature and nurture are a part of who and what we are. Theologically, it's a pretty hot debate and has been for hundreds of years. Likely, it won't go away soon. Let's consider one application of the debate, sexual orientation.

Is one's sexual orientation because of nature or nurture? Personally, I believe it's nurture though I can't prove it to everyone's satisfaction. One commonly hears a homosexual talk about always having had the sexual feelings he has, that he cannot remember having heterosexual feelings. It's not uncommon for one's sexual orientation to be established by as early as three years of age, meaning that a homosexual is telling the truth about not remembering any heterosexual feelings. If nurture leads to one's sexual orientation, what does that suggest? Might one be a victim of some things beyond his control? Someone who gets mugged in a dark alley might find himself conditioned (nurtured) to fear dark alleys. Supposed a little girl is abused by a man and becomes conditioned (nurtured) to trust only women and cannot have relations with men.

Blogging doesn't allow for every angle to be addressed adequately. But one thing above all is important: what is an appropriate Christian response to homosexuality? Regardless of why or how one develops or is born with her sexual orientation, it is always right to respond to every human being with love, kindness, grace and compassion. Hateful rhetoric, fear, crude joking, wrong assumptions and volatile speech do not bless and are not loving responses. I suggestion that all humans deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, whether one agrees with their values or practices. I can maintain my personal convictions, disagree with others, and be kind and polite at the same time. At least Jesus was that way in his interactions with others.

At least that's what I think. --Terrell Lee

3 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot of theories, but for me, it doesn't matter. It's simply not my place to judge. I try really really hard to treat others kindly and to love each person who they are, as they are. I still have a lot of work to do in many areas, but that's what I think...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If God can love me, someone with many flaws but who loves Him wholeheartedly, then it should be a natural response for me to love others regardless of their sexual orientation. I am not called to agree with their choices, but I am called to love them.
    That's just my opinion...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish so many Christians were not so hateful and I thank you for pointing out the need for more love in this arena. God is the judge, we can't ever forget that.

    I think it is nature that makes homosexuals the way they are. For some it is a choice, but I know far too many who would not choose it. There are many people with all sorts of other 'conditions'- like chemical imbablances, physical imperfections, etc. I think this is just an example of a hormone imbalance and/or imperfection. Consider those unfortunate few born with both sexes, how would you nurture them out of that? How would you make the call as to which sex they would be knowing nothing about them?

    I have quite a few friends and family that are gay and I love them. I don't believe God will blot them out because of a sin that is no worse than any of mine. I hope to win them to Christ one day and that sure won't happen if Christians continue to judge and hate.

    Thank you for promoting love first and foremost.

    ReplyDelete