Jun 29, 2009

Man in the Mirror

Though I recognize his unique talent, I've never have been a Michael Jackson fan; since Johnny Cash died I've been lost. But I do confess that sometimes I've found myself humming "ABC, 123..." or "Billie Jean." And "Thriller"... when I saw the video I was really impressed. At the time he released "Thriller" he was a faithful door-knocking Jehovah's Witness; granted, he tried to conceal his identity when doing his door-knocking. Who could blame him?

All the hype regarding his death has really saddened me. Not so much that he is dead but the tragic circumstances of his life. One thing uniquely stood out in all the news I've heard; I heard it Sunday afternoon on the Michael Medved Show (re-broadcast) on WKYX (while I was waxing my wife's van!). MJ told one of his spiritual advisors to record some of their conversations with the intent of publishing them someday so people would better understand and appreciate his spirituality. And during one of the sessions he explained to his mentor that the reason he worked so hard to be the best he could be, the reason he was so driven, was because he wanted people to love him. He even felt that he had to excel to get his own family to love him. He did all that he did to obtain the approval of others. Tragic. An impossible goal. Something not even Jesus could accomplish.

But here's what I learn from all this. I am now resolved to try harder, to be more intentional about letting people know that I love and approve of them. No one should have to work to earn another's love. Sadly, celebrities frequently receive lots of attention, but very little love. "This is love: not that we love God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another" (1 Jn. 4:10-11). Even many of us who are no celebrities understand the loneliness in Jackson's life. Such a sad thing.

So what have you learned from the life and death of Michael Jackson? Has something been heavy on your heart?

--Terrell

3 comments:

  1. Joe Jackson's mother and step-father were Jehovah's Witnesses, and it were they that were the force behind Joe and his family becoming JWs. In fact, early on, Joseph Jackson was a door-knocker for the WatchTower Cult. But for Joe's insistence, Katherine and the children would not have converted.

    I find it interesting that 99.9% of reporters and commentators state or imply that Michael Jackson's connection with the WatchTower Cult ended when he was disfellowshipped in the 1980s. In fact, circa 2004-5, a southern California newspaper published photos and an article showing MJ and his children attending their local Kingdom Hall. Does anyone really believe that someone with MJ's ego would not only attend a "meetings" at his Kingdom Hall, but also take his children with him, if he were being shunned as disfellowshipped persons are at a JW Kingdom Hall. I suspect that MJ had been "reinstated" as an active JW sometime prior to 2004. Let's see some reporter dig into that one. Don't expect the WatchTower Society or local JWs admit such without presentation of overwhelming evidence given present citcumstances.

    The negative influence of the teachings of the Jehovah's Witnesses on Michael and his family have been either downplayed or totally ignored for as long as the Jackson Family has received public attention. For those readers who really want to know what life is like to be reared in the WatchTower Cult, nothing beats real world scenarios, and of real world scenarios, nothing beats actual civil and criminal court cases.

    The following website summarizes 900 court cases and lawsuits involving children of Jehovah's Witness Parents. The summaries demonstrate how JW Families rear their children and live life day-to-day. Also included are nearly 400 CRIMINAL cases -- most involving MURDERS:

    DIVORCE, BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS, AND OTHER LEGAL ISSUES AFFECTING CHILDREN OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

    http://jwdivorces.bravehost.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad that he thought massive popularity fame is what love is.

    I think your idea of letting those around us that we love more often is a great idea. I think I'll start right now.... I love you Terrell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Todd. I love you too. What a great thing to do for those who mean most to us.

    I saw you and the walker Sun. Sorry I didn't get around to speaking to you.

    ReplyDelete