Feb 3, 2010

What Kind of Party?

I know I live in somewhat of a bubble but that bubble is now smaller than it used to be. Why? Key Parties! No, not Tea Parties. Yes, Key Party. What's a Key Party? you wonder. Here's how it was explained to me.

Some married couples get together to enjoy each other's company. So far so good. Snacks, conversations, etc. Again, so far so good, right? Depends on how one defines "etc." At a Key Party, one's house key is dropped into a container. But when you leave someone selects a key from the container and goes home with the owner. Translated, a Tea Party is a change-of-partners-for-the-evening for a night of sexual immorality and adultery. But hey, participants are consenting adults and no one's harmed. Right? Wrong! But that's another post.

Here's what shocked me most, actually hurt me most. Christians in Reidland are known participants. Surely not! Is this true? Have you ever heard of such? I'm asking for verification. I'd really like to know? Can anyone help me? Rumor? Truth?

One thing I know...no Christian husband or wife who loves his/her spouse with the love of God would ever participate. It's called unbridled lust, sin. That's not being unfairly judgmental. Here's God's judgment: "the sexually immoral...will not inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Cor.6:9).

--Posted by Terrell

3 comments:

  1. WELL, YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY AND BOY DID THAT SHOCK ME! PERSONALLY I AM GLAD TO BE IN MY BUBBLE IF COMING OUT MEANS RUNNING IN TO SOMEONE WHO ATTENDS THESE PARTIES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany, I agree. It's a blessing to live in our little bubble in our church family. But this kind of "party" reminds me of how empty many people's lives are and how desparate they are to find something in life worthwhile. And doesn't it frighten us to think about the kinds of parties the kids reared in a key party house might attend?

    Every week I'm convinced more about the need for our church to be one without walls. We must get into our communities and help people find meaning in Jesus. He alone is authentic and offers true meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart breaks to hear this. Something like this you hear about, but it doesn't happen at "home" in our local communities. It hurts just knowing people do this because it shows they are seeking fulfillment in others & not in God. In that way, they will never be filled. He/she will only keep searching. Ryan and I are attending a class here in E-town called "Staying In-Love". It just reminds me how much we as individuals have to do for our marriage just to make it work in our little bubble. Adding others to the mix only increases our chances for failure as well as emptiness. Prayers for those in these groups. Prayers for us that we can find them and reach out to them,

    ReplyDelete