Feb 17, 2010

Relentless at Lent

Ok, so the title isn't the best in the world. I'm ok with that; virtually everything I do is not the best in the world and I've had to learn to be ok with that too. But, still, I like the title. Here's why.

I've never really been a health fanatic (and I don't plan to become one today). Sure, I try be sensible in my eating and physical activity. I remember saying when I was a kid that when I grew up I would get a milkshake anytime I wanted one. Well, here I am and I want one...but I rarely get one. Why? Because I'm trying to eat more healthy foods and milkshakes rarely, though sometimes, qualify.

Lent is the 40-day period leading up to Easter, the resurrection day of Jesus. It is on the church calendar to commemorate Jesus' 40 days in the wilderness after his baptism. Other biblical characters spent a period of 40 days in a similar way, such as Moses and Elijah. Of course, Israel spent 40 years in the wilderness. So Lent, is a time when we are allowed, if we so choose, to enter the "wilderness" and do without and thus share a time with Jesus in a different kind of way. Peole choose to fast, go without TV, or don't eat out, etc. Virtually anything in your normal lifestyle could qualify as something you give up.

So I'm re-lenting as it relates to my diet. No, I'm not dieting. I'm choosing to develop better eating habits. And it won't be easy. I fully expect that Satan will attempt to lead me to compromise. I choose to relentlessly pursue better eating habits. More green, even raw veggies. Fewer sweets. More water. Less bacon and more oats (that was hard to write!).

What about you? Have you chosen to give up something?

No comments:

Post a Comment