Jul 8, 2009

My Mom

My mom is great. She continues to be one of my greatest encouragers. For example, she still believes I'm one of the greatest basketball players of all time. She thinks back to my high school career in basketball (which honestly wasn't too impressive, except maybe for my jumping ability) and recalls the highlights; she simply doesn't think about the unimpressive times. And when I started preaching (at 16 years of age) she told me to look at her when I preach and she would help me through the process. From that I learned to select a few good listeners when I preach and look at them. I also learned not to look at certain people because they discourage me in my preaching. (Just curious--which kind of listener are you?)

Today I'm in Nashville. My mom has congestive heart failure and is scheduled for a heart cath tomorrow--perhaps a stint or even open heart surgery may be required. I'm feeling some emotions I've never felt before; don't really know how to describe them. But for now I say that if everyone could have a mom like mine all of us would live richer lives.

Tell me about your mom. I'd love to hear about some shining moment in your life when your mom helped define and shape you. Your thoughts would be a blessing to all readers. And my family would be delighted to have you pray for my mom.

--Terrell

5 comments:

  1. A soft-spoken mother who never uttered a harsh word or even talked about the failings of others. A servant mother who took food to the sick and bereaved. A uplifting mother who smiled, even through an illness would take her life. A long-time Bible teacher and lover of all that was good. Not one incident, but a whole life of modeling what Christ would have us be. That was my mother, in life and in sickness. . . a Christian in action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALWAYS there for me. Even now. Involved in every aspect of my life - room mother, girl scout leader, Bible class teacher, etc. Read Bible stories to me every single night until I was probably 12 or 13. Always made me "get the work done" before I was allowed to play, whether chores or homework. My biggest fan, and one of my best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best friend, she loves to mow the yard, a retired bus driver, and an awesome granny to one of the best grandaughters in the whole world. My mom is a rock...but soft on the inside and I am so very thankful that she is my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother worked really hard, in the garden, in our home, whatever she did. But she also made time for God. Sometimes I would come in from outside and she would be reading her Bible in the middle of the day. It was a good lesson without a word being spoken. She made a special prayer over me when I was very young, and it was so emotionally felt, and something I never forgot. The day I left for college was my last one with her. She died 2 months later. I miss her very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mom was a preacher's kid. Her mother was always ill so Mom had to raise her brothers. Then she got married and had six kids of her own. I was the youngest.

    Mom taught me to memorize scripture even before I could read them. She made us candy, read Bible stories to us,told us stories about her childhood, took in strangers in need, and always had time for each of us. We always had plenty of laughter, love, and warmth because of Mom.

    After my Dad's death, Mom moved in with us and became a foster grandmother. I made a mistake one time in taking her to a sexual abuse training I needed. I had to leave soon after it began because Mom wanted to correct the speaker's usuage of certain terms. All the foster kids loved her and would spend nights in her living quarters in out house.

    Mom got a brain virus from a flu/pneumonia shot.She had always been terrified of being put into a nursing home and made me promise I never would. I kept that promise. She remained in our home along with the foster/adopted children who loved her so much. She was as sweet as always even tho' she couldn't remember her own children, stand, feed herself, bathe herself or talk. When I came into this world she held me; when she left it, I held her. The room she held in my heart is still filled with love for her and with memories that will only find completion when we meet again in glory. What a wonderful God we serve to have created mothers.

    ReplyDelete