May 15, 2009

The Trek of the Star-Crossed Soloist

I like to try to fix things. Now by "things" I should probably clarify that I don't really mean in the "handyman" kind of sense. While it can be rewarding to experience some handyman pride, in that area I usually end up breaking more than what I initially set out to fix. Instead, I mean I like to fix problems, come up with solutions for all sorts of situations. I am a peacemaker at heart and I like to help usher (sometimes occasionally nudge/shove) people into a greater sense of shalom (whole life peace). Like the great life philosopher Vanilla Ice says, "If you have a problem, yo I'll solve it."

While there are plenty of positive things about this mentality, the cons can be numerous as well. Sometimes my wife just wants me to listen. Ministry continually humbles me by reminding me I can't always be in control. Some people don't really want you to fix them anyway.

In life you quickly learn there is PLENTY of brokenness to be fixed...but ultimately I am not the fixer.

I saw two movies recently: "The Soloist" and "Star Trek." On the surface it may seem they don't have a lot in common. However, both of them had something similar to impart to me after leaving the theater. I can't always fix the problems of people all around me. In fact I'm not even sure it's my responsibility to try. There's already a Savior and he has a pretty high success rate even without my help! But what I am called to do, even when I'm frustratingly reminded that I am incapable of saving them from their brokenness, is to simply BE with them. BE a friend. BE someone who cares. BE a shoulder to lean on. BE the tangible hands and feet of the one who has "fixed" all things then, now and throughout eternity. BE in the moment...in the minute...in the mile...and in the trek. Don't BE in it for yourself, but just BE for God's glory.

Mike

3 comments:

  1. The Saras, Kelly and I were discussing this very topic last Sunday night; how when we deliberately attempt to make a difference in someone’s life it usually just falls flat. Other times we may just spend a few minutes a week with a friend, thinking nothing of it, only later to find out that friendship truly made an impact. And even though we may not be able to intentionally “BE” the solution to someone’s brokenness, what we should BE is available, aware, alert, attentive to what is going on around us . . . God is continually giving us opportunities, we just have to focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, both of your blogging keeps leaving me speechless. Such good points, and great reminders...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Whole life peace!' -- what an awesome goal for each of us.

    ReplyDelete