May 19, 2009

Three Ss--Shimmy, Spirit, Signs

For several weeks my van has been acting up. Nothing bad...yet. While driving at various speed, suddenly it feels like the vehicle ran over a washboard-type surface. The steering wheel shimmies for about half a second and then it's over. No, it's not the road suface--bumps, holes, gravel, etc. I'm stumped, but I know something is up.

Life's like that too. Driving along at various speeds suddenly, strangely there's a little shimmy. Maybe it's just intuition but something doesn't feel right. O well, maybe it's nothing. But then again, maybe it's something.

But who has time for reflection and introspection? We're always in a hurry when it happens. My van never shimmies when it's parked, only when I've got to go somewhere and then I don't have time for a breakdown. So, I journey on. A shimmy here, a bump there, a strange feeling that something isn't right. So we think about possibilities: stress, not enough rest, or maybe we just ignore it; after all, we're in a hurry to get somewhere.

Then the shimmies become more regular, like my van. I drove it about 10 miles a few days ago and it shimmied several times. A friend drove it and suggested the transmission may not be functioning properly. Ouch! Can you count George Washington's face 2,000 times?

So this shimmy thing is causing me to wonder if there's a shimmy in my life, not just in my van? I've noticed a couple of bumps there also. What about your life? Is there more need for prayer, Bible study, service? Is there a temptation you've been flirting with? Is the shimmy the work of the Spirit as he endeavors to send a warning that everything is not well? Maybe it's time to pay attention to the "check engine" light (or is that a "check spirit" light)? Maybe God is already giving us a sign that we're moving too fast and too far without him. I have a hunch that if we don't pay attention today we may find ourselves on the side of the road tomorrow with a sticker on our window.

At least that's what I think. --Terrell Lee

7 comments:

  1. OK! God is definately talking to me thru this blog. I sometimes need to be reminded that I am rushing around and not giving God the time that I should. Why is it that I slowly shift my attention from God and usually don't even realize how many of the wordly things I have let come between me and God until someone or something jerks me back to reality? Does anyone else ever feel that way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, I certainly understand. That's why I shared this shimmy thing! :-) It's too easy to go into auto-pilot which causes us to forget that the destination is not what life is all about nearly as much as the scenery along the journey. Ministry and service come in the midst traveling not after we arrive. So let's help remind each other to pay attention to the Spirit's shimmying as he seeks to share our character for the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I am stressed and frustrated with life, I tend to go into, "whatever..." mode. I use my lack of care as a method of protection. I ignore the problem. I don't want to see the problem because that will mean I am wrong. I can take criticism. I, however, don't like to feel as though I have failed or have a problem. So, I turn to "ignore it and it will go away." (I used this method in 11th grade Advanced Math class. I did not understand functions and such. It did not work.) It still does not work, but I, at times, continue to lean on the "ignore it" method.

    Thanks for the reminder to care. I miss your teaching. I miss my family at Reidland. It is good to hear your voices here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy,

    What a blessing to see your name here. I've felt guilty for not staying in touch. You know, same old excuses everyone uses. I miss you, one of the very best "listeners" a preacher could hope to have--that's because you don't just listen, you participate in the sermon.

    May God continue his care of your family. You're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a car in the past where it seemed like the "check engine" light was always on. The first couple times it happened, I would attend to it pretty quickly. After a while, I began to ignore its presence out of frustration because it was always coming on. I think God does provide us with signs or nudges through His Spirit to be more aware about what's going on in and around us. Sometimes like the check engine light in my car I can try to tune out God's whispering to me because I get tired of always needing to pay attention to it.

    Andrea...I hear ya. I think God puts things and people in our lives to speak a word to us that we have either refused to listen to before or have been blinded to noticing ourselves. I think that is why our Christian family is sooo important. They provide a reflective voice in my life to continually draw me back to the heart of God.

    Andy...great to see you on here! The feeling is mutual. You and your family are dearly missed here. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Torque Converter Shutter. Randy's Transmission on Dixie Ave can hook you up. Just like you hook all us up on the Word. Thanks man!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Torque converter shuttter? That makes sense. Thanks anonymous!

    ReplyDelete