Nov 13, 2009

Even In Death...

...I am reminded about what it means to live.

This past week we ventured to Oklahoma to attend the funeral services for Sara's grandfather. It was a beautiful time of remembrance and celebration of a life lived to the glory of God. As much as we often fear death though, it is funny how death often has the potential to teach us so much about life.

Floyd was a man who gave of himself as much as he could. He loved the Lord. He loved people. He loved his church. He loved his family. The more stories I got to hear about grandpa, the more I found myself being reminded of a few simple truths. Life is short. He lived a good life and was blessed in many years, but I am reminded that we never really know how long we have on this earth. So, what am I going to do with this life I have been given? How am I going to live? What will be my legacy?

I believe we are called to Live Intentionally and not just live with good intentions. I want to make conscious decisions every day to live for God and for others. Life goes by too quickly to choose not to live intentionally. I'm also reminded to take time to love others. Even when it might not "fit in my schedule."

I remember playing with a pair of my dad's shoes when I was a lot younger. I remember how big they seemed compared to the size of my own feet. I would put them on and try to walk around. It felt awkward, clumsy...I would even stumble and fall a few times. But there was a simple joy to be found in doing my best to try to walk around in my father's shoes. Sometimes I think that's how we feel about our life with God. The shoes can seem so huge, even overwhelming when we try to follow in his footsteps. As we try to live out his way of life in this world we can feel awkward, and clumsy...we might even stumble and fall from time to time. As we continue to wear the shoes on a daily basis though, eventually we will begin to grow into them. But we have to be intentional about walking in them even when it feels uncomfortable and it may not feel like it's the right fit.

I believe God wants us to dream big...to walk forward in faith, trusting Him to do great things! But I think He also wants us to be mindful of the simple things life teaches...so that as we continue to learn to die to ourselves and follow Him, even in death we can be reminded about what it means to truly live.

--Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment